Today many products try to increase their sales by jumping on the “green” train and employing tactics such as spin marketing, green-washing and deceptive labeling. Because of the lack of regulation in labeling, it’s easy for you to be confused when it comes to authentic natural and organic products. We understand that our personal commitment to producing the highest level of purity and accountability is not enough to earn your trust. Our commitment to protect your health, protect the environment, ensure quality standards, and to be transparent necessitated that we seek an independent, third party certification to give you peace of mind. We are proud to have been awarded the BIO certification by COSMEBIO, the most stringent natural, organic, and sustainable standards available today - and then we went beyond those standards to bring you the purest products possible.
Although the BIO certification allows up to 5% of the ingredients to come from approved synthetic chemicals, our values demanded that we refuse to use any synthetic ingredients in our products. All L’uvalla products are made with 100% natural ingredients and we are proud to be the first products ever approved by COSMEBIO to have '100% Natural' printed on the front of the label.
All L’uvalla products carry the BIO certification from COSMEBIO which certifies the following:
- 95% or more of the product is comprised of natural ingredients (L’uvalla is 100% natural).
- 95% or more of all plant material is sourced from organic agriculture.
- A minimum of 10% of the total product (including water & minerals) is made up of organic ingredients.
L'uvalla products never contain:
- NO Parabens
- NO Synthetic Preservatives
- NO Sodium Laurel Sulphate
- NO Petrochemicals
- NO Phenoxyethanol
- NO Synthetic Fragrances
- NO Synthetic Colors
- NO GMOs
- NO DEAs
- NO Synthetic Ingredients Ever!
- All products are created with ecologically sound (sustainable) production processes, including comprehensive non-polluting procedures.
- Sourcing employs Fair Trade practices
- The packaging is biodegradable or recyclable.
- No products are ever tested on animals.
Complete transparency is assured by requiring:
- All ingredients are listed according to the INCI (International Nomenclature of Cosmetic Ingredients) guidelines.
- All 3 percentages of ingredients (natural, organic & total) are listed on each product.
- Approved products are stamped “ecological and organic cosmetic product” and feature the name of the authorized certifying body.
- Each organic ingredient in the composition is indicated by an asterisk.
Download the Cosmebio Charter here.
Who is COSMEBIO?
Cosmebio is the Professional Association of Ecological and Organic Cosmetics created in 2002 by the collaboration of about ten cosmetic laboratories working on job specifications for ethical cosmetics. Cosmébio's charter led to the filing of very exacting job specifications with the Ministry of Industry which very strictly define, in full transparency and without ambiguity, "environment-friendly and organic cosmetics" and guide consumers seeking authentic natural and organic products. Cosmébio represents all stages involved in natural and organic cosmetics, such as raw material and ingredient suppliers, manufacturers, laboratories, and distributors.
Cosmebio acts as your advocate by:
- Guaranteeing that certified cosmetic products contain natural and organic ingredients that are certified by an independent certification body.
- Providing you transparency on the type of ingredients and the manufacturing procedures used in your organic cosmetic products: the ingredients are of natural origin and transformed by simple non-polluting procedures. The finished products contain a significant quantity of organic products.
- Encouraging the search for new natural ingredients by industrialists and ingredient manufacturers
- Ensuring that all certified brands have adopted a sustainable development approach.
- In order to provide objective clinical assurance to customers, in April 2003 Cosmébio, in collaboration with ECOCERT, developed some stringent guidelines and created two certification seals – ECO and BIO. All standards of the BIO seal are certified by ECOCERT, a control and certification organization accredited by the USDA for NOP (National Organic Program) standards.
ECOCERT is a control and certification organization that works to promote organic products through its control and certification activities in over 80 countries. ECOCERT is accredited by COFRAC (French committee for accreditation), which requires independence, competence and impartiality. ECOCERT is accredited for NOP certification (National Organic Program) and for JAS certification (Japan Agriculture Standards). ECOCERT is approved in the European Union via the intermediary of its subsidiaries in France, Germany, Spain and Portugal. Its wealth of contacts, its experience acquired in the field and the rigorous nature of its controls lend ECOCERT international credibility.
ECOCERT certifies the French label Cosmebio for natural, organic, and sustainable cosmetic products. The goal of the Cosmebio charter is to articulate a clear and simple concept for authentically natural cosmetics, respectful of the following principles of precaution:
1. For the products:
Selection of the ingredients.
- ingredients are natural and above all resulting from controlled organic agriculture
- use of non-toxic transformation and no synthetic manufacture processes
- respectful of the mankind and the environment
2. For people
Putting in place steps for:
- the respect and well-being of the consumers
- the right to complete information
- the need of transparency concerning the ingredients as well as the finished products
3. For the environment
a) Respecting life
- no animal testing
- use of alternative methods of products evaluation (toxicity, effectiveness)
b) Through specific measures
- raw materials
- transformation processes
- cleaning processes
- conditioning processes
- biodegradability of finished products
- recycling of packaging and the total of the waste resulting from their manufacturing